Step 1: Create Accounts
You first need to create accounts in a few programs to get started. If you’d like, you can watch a video that walks you through each of the following account setups (video). At a minimum, you will need.
- Microsoft Account (aka “Live ID”)
- DreamSpark for Students account
- If you need a DreamSpark Verification Code go here
- Windows Store Developer Account
- First, get your store code from DreamSpark
- Click “Get code Now”
- Copy the code to the clipboard.
- You WILL NEED A CREDIT CARD YOU CAN USE for verification
- A test charge will be made against the card (less than $5)
- The test charge will be reversed when you complete verification
In addition, you may want to setup the following:
- Windows Phone Store Developer Account
- Microsoft Advertising pubCenter Account
- Windows Azure Free Trial
Step 2: Create an App
There are a TON of ways that you can create apps for Windows 8 and Windows Phone. My goals is to help you get through the process as quickly as possible. With that in mind, let’s get started quickly by going to:
And downloading the appropriate Excel Spreadsheet.
Use the instructions on the page above to complete the Excel Spreadsheet with the details for your app.
Bring the excel document, and image files to me on a USB Drive. I’ll create the Visual Studio project for you and help you publish it in the store!
Step 3: DIY Windows 8 Virtual Machine
If you want to do the Visual Studio work yourself, but don’t have Windows 8, you can create a FREE (but TEMPORARY) virtual machine in the cloud for your use today. To do that go to:
THE VIRTUAL MACHINE IS ONLY VALID FOR 24 HOURS SO MAKE SURE TO GET ANY FILES YOU NEED OFF OF IT BEFORE THE END OF THE DAY!